Join the practice

To register as a patient of  the University Medical Centre you need to apply online using one of the links below. Please complete the information as fully and accurately as possible.

If you have any difficulties registering online please speak to our Reception Team.

We are a forward looking NHS General Practice open to all students living within a six mile radius, and non-students living within a three mile radius from the Practice 

In order to register with the university Medical Centre you must live within the appropriate boundary.

join the practice


Live within boundary area?

To be eligible to register at the practice, you must live within the practice catchment area.


Student at the University of Kent?

student boundary

You are invited to register with the University Medical Centre Practice. Your term-time address must be within our six mile radius, if you are a student and live outside this radius you need to register with a doctor nearer your term-time address.

If you have any questions about registration first check out our Registration FAQs for Students or email us at 

NHS registration is open to UK and overseas students for courses over 3 calendar months in length When you register your notes from your previous doctor (if in the UK) will be forwarded to us and we will take over responsibility for your health care needs. If your course is for 3 months or less you will be able to access the NHS services as a temporary resident. Please contact the University Medical Centre or any other GP practice near where you are living in the UK.



Studying at the Medway Campus?

If you are a studying at the Medway campus and live in the Chatham area then you must register at your local GP Practice and not at the University Medical Centre.

If you are studying at the Medway campus but live in Canterbury you can register with us.


Studying at Canterbury Christ Church University?

Please register using the non-student online registration portal


Immunisation Information

Please read the Immunisation Letter for students starting at University of Kent (Canterbury), print out this letter and take it to your home GP so that you can be vaccinated before starting your course. Immunisation against Meningitis C has been part of the UK childhood schedule for some years and a new vaccine is now available to protect against Meningitis AW&Y in addition to Meningitis C. The Department of Health have strongly advised that first year students up to the age of 25 should receive this before coming to University – see more on NHS Choices


New Patients – Non Students

You are invited to register with the University Medical Centre. A Non-Student’s address must be within our 3 mile radius boundary. If you live outside this radius you will need to register with a doctor nearer your home.



Allocated Named GP

In accordance with NHS England we are contractually obliged to allocate a named GP to all our patients including children.

The named GP is largely a role of oversight, with the requirements being introduced to reassure patients they have one GP within the practice who is responsible for ensuring that this work is carried out on their behalf.

It does not mean that patients have to see their named GP when booking an appointment, patients can continue to choose to see any GP or nurse of their choice as they can now.

We have now allocated a GP to all our patients registered at the practice. Please contact the practice if you would like to know the name of your allocated doctor.


New Patients from Overseas (Students or staff of UoK)

Visitors from a countries without a reciprocal agreement may register as a Private Patient at the discretion of the Practice, but will be charged for consultations, prescriptions and treatment. Go to NHS Choices to see if your country has a reciprical agreement with the UK.

If you are working at the University of Kent (Canterbury Campus) but are living outside our three mile catchment area you will need to register with a doctor near to your home address.


Are you just visiting for a short stay?

If you are ill while away from home or if you are not registered with a doctor but need to see one you can receive emergency treatment from a local GP Practice.

You can be registered as a temporary patient for up to three months. This will allow you to be on the local practice list and still remain a patient of your permanent GP. After three months you will have to re-register as a temporary patient or permanently register with that Practice.

To register as a temporary patient simply contact the local practice you wish to use. Practices do not have to accept you as a temporary patient although they do have an obligation to offer emergency treatment. You cannot register as a temporary patient at a Practice in the town or area where you are already registered.



Confidentiality is of utmost importance to us and although based on campus we do not pass on information to anyone outside of the practice unless at your request.When you have read and understood all of the information on this page, click one of the buttons above to register.


Non English Speakers

These fact sheets have been written to explain the role of UK health services, the National Health Service (NHS), to newly-arrived individuals seeking asylum. They cover issues such as the role of GPs, their function as gatekeepers to the health services, how to register and how to access emergency services.

Special care has been taken to ensure that information is given in clear language, and the content and style has been tested with user groups.

Open the leaflets in one of the following languages: